Is your website copy boring? Does it fall flat? Or does your existing copy simply no longer fit your business?
You see, it isn’t enough to have content on each page. Instead, your content should attract the right audience, accurately convey what you offer and inspire your audience to reach out. More importantly, the best-written websites are living, breathing beings that receive routine maintenance and updates.
This is where a website content audit comes in.
Why Should You Perform a Website Content Audit?
A website content audit is an in-depth look at the content you currently have on your website. It looks at the words you use, the images you choose and the way each page is laid out on your website. The audit checks for your brand voice and ensures your content was written with the ideal client in mind.
Problem Solving At Its Best
A website content audit is a problem-solving machine. With the audit, you can solve problems in your copy such as these:
- Lacking value: Your copy offers no value, thus making zero impact on your visitors.
- Overly optimized: Your website is keyword stuffed, making it difficult to read resulting in high bounce rates.
- Missing an editor: Your content is chock full of grammar mistakes and a tad bit unprofessional.
Looking at each aspect of your content is the only way to spot problems otherwise hidden to you, but absolutely noticed by your audience.
Simple Changes to Make to Your Website Content Today
There are some problems with your content that you won’t find until you perform an audit. However, there are a few simple steps you can take today to improve your copy.
- Replace “they” with “you.” Great-performing copy speaks directly to your audience, instead of to a generic group. Rephrasing using “you” is the best way to connect with your audience, thereby building relationships with them.
- Look for slang and offensive language. Although you should always aim to be conversational, it’s best to avoid grammatically incorrect language, slang and offensive language. Keep your audience’s feelings in mind as you look over your content.
- Read it out loud. Take a single page and read it out loud. Do you sound like a robot or a human being? Making your copy a bit more conversational is a difference that can truly make your content a success.
- Check your readability stats. Short paragraphs and sentences are best for readability. You can also use online tools such as HemingwayApp or Microsoft Word to check for passive voice and the grade level of your copy.
Want Another Set of Eyes on Your Content? Reach Out to Us!
At Custom Content Solutions, we take pride in performing thorough, in-depth website content audits to ensure your copy is on the right track. We’ve also created the 7-Point Website Content Checklist, a freebie cheat sheet for you to use on your own content. If you want another set of eyes to peer into your website, give us a call today at 612-643-1824 or shoot us a quick message online.